Inappropriate urinating is a common problem in cats and can be very frustrating. Here are some tips to entice your cat to the litter box:
- Provide 1 + 1 litter box per cat in the household. If you have 2 cats, for example, you should provide 3 litter boxes.
- Placement of the letterboxes are also important. Put them in different locations that are non-threatening to the cat.
- Use fine grained litters. Cats prefer fine grained litters. Also, you may want to consider Cat Attract which we have heard a lot of good things about. http://preciouscat.com/
- Litter-boxes should be 2.5 times the length of the cat. That is quite large, and in fact litter boxes aren't made that large, so the best solution is to find a sweater box or Rubbermaid bin at Target or similar store and cut a door in the front of the box. The door should be no more than 2 inches from the ground so that cats, even arthritic cats, can enter and exit the box easily. The litter box above is a good example except it is not quite large enough and the door is a little on the small side.
- Do not cover the box with a hood. Cats prefer non-covered boxes.
- Litter boxes should be cleaned daily.